[Afpif] South Africa gets free national Peering ...

Nishal Goburdhan nishal at afrinic.net
Mon Apr 9 08:48:28 UTC 2012

On Apr 8, 2012, at 3:32 PM, Mark Tinka wrote:

> What will happen is if more folk start co-lo'ing with Teraco
> and other carrier-neutral data centres, then they will go
> the route Equinix and others have done to incorporate data-
> centre-owned exchange points within the data centre so
> customers can interconnect.

this is already in place - has been for a few years too.

> Whatever the case, operators will vote where their wallets
> take them, although it would still make sense to peer both
> at Teraco and at JINX (for instance) if other ISP's at
> either location were only located in one of those locations
> (assuming, of course, running a loop and peering is cheaper
> than transit).

right. and that's my point - local loop costs don't allow this (yet).
so, the premise of the article, which was that these data-centres
"redefine the Internet business in South Africa" is not really true.

at least not for a while.

a few years ago, there were maybe 5 operators that could give you transmission services.
today, there are over 300.  once there's sufficient infrastructure buildout, then yes,
* local loop pricing should drop fantastically
* more peering/interconnection opportunities open
...etc.

--n.
(who's hopeful, but still a realist)