[Afpif] Transit vs. peering Focust for Africa by 2021

Anibe Onuche a.onuche at ixp.net.ng
Thu Aug 6 13:47:54 UTC 2015

Hello all.

80% locally accessing would mean a lot of work.
Most content meant for the local internet ecosystem are hosted outside
the shores of the country :-(   .
Local traffic is been imported into the country.

I am of the opinion that African IXPs should work in tandem with
organizations ( e.g ISOC ) ,  Government and  stakeholders to host
content locally with the ISPs.
ISPs should come together and form alliances where the challenges of the
industries are looked into with a view of reducing such challenges and
obstacles.
The resultant effect to local content can be rewarding to the local IXP
, ISPs and Government.
It would be nice to generate local traffic rather that getting such from
the global internet.
  Possibly then,   we might start exporting such local traffic outside.

A very good example is the Local Internet Content Forum (LICF). Website
http://licf.ng .  I won't go further because I am afraid of breaching
policies regarding "advertisement" on the mailing list.

Regards.
Anibe Onuche.