[Afpif] Transit vs. peering Focust for Africa by 2021

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Aug 6 20:21:20 UTC 2015

On 6/Aug/15 16:43, jaberamatogoro at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello Michuki,
>
> Thank you for sharing. 80% locally accessed is something that we can
> achieve by 2020. As it has been discussed in the mailing list, the
> challenge of local traffic is partly due to lack of data center to
> host our local services.
>
> Just as an example, Staff and students in my university may prefer to
> use gmail/yahoo/Hotmail for mailing services and NOT university email
> account due to availability and reliability challenges. It is a normal
> story to find the mail service is down for two to three days.

And we cannot under-estimate the significance of both of these points.

Data centre space is probably the most central issue plaguing the shift
of African traffic away from Europe and into our favour. The big content
names migrated from their home in North America to Europe and Asia-Pac
because of the availability of professional, well-run carrier-neutral
data centres in those regions. Without that, the move would not have
been made. There will be one or two crying "Chicken or egg", but it's
simple physics - until they make routers, switches or servers that can
operate in the rain, network operators will want four walls and a
ceiling to put them in.

There is a reason why the push for these big names to make the final
trek down to Africa is long, long over-due.

Mark.