[Afpif] Transit vs. peering Focust for Africa by 2021

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Aug 11 06:32:23 UTC 2015

On 11/Aug/15 08:10, Meoli Kashorda wrote:

> Dear Patrick,
>
> As you have seen in our discussions, our interest is country you
> country local traffic compared to global traffic mainly through
> Europe. We see very low traffic between African countries - traffic
> follows content!
>
> I would still be interested in country by country international
> traffic data and maybe IP transit costs in Africa.
>
> By the way, peering is NOT free for us in Africa -  we have to pay for
> expensive national leased lines to peering nodes! Sometimes that can
> be more expensive than  peering in Europe!  So the picture is complex
> - is content that is driving our decisions or cost?

There are also quite a few links between operators in Africa. This could
be a backbone extension of the same network, or an interconnect between
different operators. The payload carried on these links is generally IP,
but it's hard to quantify unless the researcher asks the question
specifically. Not capturing this data will skew the results greatly.

Mark.